This article written by John S. Jones, Grand High Priest, Grand Chapter State of NY Royal Arch Masons 2007. The article is presented in 3 segments.
4. Leadership means SERVICE.
- See leadership as only a job, like any other.
- Leadership means giving service, not receiving it.
- Humility is more important in a leader than any medal for achievement.
- Humility is self-honesty.
- See God as the doer. View your work as service to him.
5. Good Leadership means LOYALTY.
- Work with people as they are, not as you would like them to be.
- Work with things as they are, not as you would like them to be.
- Be patient. Understand that it takes time to bring people to new points of view.
- To win loyalty, be loyal yourself, first.
- To win love, first give love, yourself.
- In correcting someone, consider first his readiness to hear what you have to say.
- Be loyal to your own, first.
6. Good Leadership is INTUITION GUIDED BY COMMON SENSE.
- The wise leader is more concerned with what IS than what ought to be.
- He is concerned more with what will work than with mere opinions, even his own.
- He is more concerned with truth than with being thought right.
- A wise leader convinces by sound reason, or by magnetism of his own conviction but not by the mere outward authority of his position or past experience.
- Discriminating supporters need to be cultivated, not merely impressed.
- Be wary of supporting your proposals on intuitive grounds alone. Try to present your ideas in such a way as to invite intelligent response.
- Always be guided by common sense.
- Common sense is the willingness to learn from experience.