Part 15: The Order of St. John of Jerusalem

May 18,  1565,  the fleet is sighted approaching the island of Malta.   Against this massive army, stood the 700 knights Hospitallers and 8000 soldiers.  The  Knights prepared themselves in their fortifications. A star shaped fort named St. Elmo was built on the northerly point controlling the bay to the north as well as the entrance to the Grand Harbor.  Grand Harbor itself was like small fjord  with two small peninsulas extending into it from the south. The western most peninsula was known as Senglea, a fortified town, at the base of this  peninsula was Fort St. Michael  and the eastern peninsula was the fortified town of Birgu, at the tip of the eastern peninsula was Fort St. Angelo, separated by a waterway from Birgu.   High ground was situated above all of the positions held by the Knights. To the west, was the fortified city of Mdina the old capital of the island.

About leader

District Deputy Grand Master Saratoga-Warren District 1998-2000; Grand Lodge Leadership Services Committee; Leadership Development Course Coordinator; Vice Chairman Grand Master's Educational Task Force; Vice Chairman Grand Lodge Child ID Committee; District Deputy Grand High Priest 14th Capitular District; Grand Master of the 1st Veil 2010; Grand Master 2nd Veil 2011; Grand Master 3rd Veil 2012 Grand Royal Arch Captain 2013 Grand Principal Sojourner 2014 Grand Captain of the Host 2015 Warren County Historical Society Board of Trustees; Queensbury Masonic Historical Society Charter Member; State Chairman Lodges & Buildings Committee Deputy Grand Master's Advisory Committee
This entry was posted in History and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.